Friday, July 11, 2008

Indianapolis, Indiana


I have to say, I went through a little bit of a dry-spell from the months of August-November. This is nothing out of the ordinary. With my job, the big travels usually begin starting in January and go non-stop through April (literally - nonstop... I have very few weekends to spare during the winter months). Fortunately, there is always luxury travel just for fun or the occasional work travel that just happens to "spring up" during the so-called traveling drought. December of last year was one of those months. I visited Indianapolis, IN for a cheerleading competition that I had to cover for our website. It was my job to interview cheerleaders and coaches, write creative stories, and post results from the competition. And it's obvious -that's exactly what I did (note the missing pictures to show that I was actually in the city). When I go on these work trips, work is always the priority, but I always manage to "kick it" with the friends who are also traveling for the job. Great restaurants and fun bars always come second and third on the priority list for these trips!


So despite the cold (no seriously, when I say cold I mean... COLD! Try being from Mississippi and go to Indianapolis in December... every time you step foot outside you will feel as if you are trapped in a tub of water and ice with no way to get out. Yes, even if you have on 50 layers of clothing), I managed to experience a little of the Indianapolis night-life, and I learned that I liked the city. Nice people, fun downtown, and let's not forget the blue and white crowds on Sunday, swarming around the RCA Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium, just waiting to get a good seat to see their 2006 Super Bowl Champions go for another successful season. And a note on the fans: I give them BIG props for being able to sit through four quarters in extremely low temperatures and sometimes snow - some of them shirt-less, painted blue and white. You will never see a Southerner do that in those temps... or you may see one try, but I doubt he would last in the icebox that I felt when I was there... no way! Overall review of the big Indy? Not too shabby... I found it to be a great city, that would be MUCH better in July! :)

No comments: