Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Memphis, TN

Graceland - "The King's house"

Ok... I know it doesn't really count as a 'destination' especially because I live there, but for some people it's such an exciting place to visit? Yes, that's a question mark at the end of that sentence. I wonder the same thing. But here's why: MUSIC and ELVIS - The only two reasons to come to Memphis. I am not much a fan of the second one (my boyfriend's only disappointment in me he says), but people come from not only all over the country, but all over the WORLD to experience and learn more about "The King." This past week was Elvis Week, and let me tell you, people are EVERYWHERE celebrating the death (31 years later) of this man. I heard that last year on his 30th year death anniversary that Memphis, Tennessee brought in more tourists that DISNEYWORLD in Orlando, Florida. That, my friends, is a fact and one of the only reasons to be "proud of being a Memphian."


VIP 'in it!

So let's rewind... Since I am so behind on writing my blog, I want to go back to a fun weekend in Memphis. Although Tres and I WERE NOT on vacation, two of our good friends were... Trevor and Lori. They came to visit, and thanks to them, I experienced Memphis (for the first time) like a REAL tourist! For Lori, the trip could be compared to the same trip of a 50-year-old Chinese Elvis impersonator coming over from Hong Kong in a sparkly jumpsuit - AKA "a dream come true." Lori is a huge Elvis fan for some reason and though the trip for her was only a 2 hour plane ride away, she appreciated it just as much as that random Chinese man who had an approximate 20 hour plane ride.

Lori and Trevor LOVE Divers!

Day One - Our first stop once Lori and Trevor arrived was Graceland, or in Lori's words "The King's house." We took a special VIP Tour through the mansion (thank you Tres), so we got to experience it like no other. We cut in line, saw special sites, and felt like we took in Graceland on the highest level! Second stop? A night out (Memphis Style)! This means, Beale Street, Silky's (had to have a diver), Big Ass Beers on the sidewalk, a Trolley Ride, and food at a great restaurant (Spendini's). It was a superb and wine-ful night!



Who knew we would end up here?!

Day Two - An injured foot, day in the hospital, yet lots of Memphis fun. So the ijured foot and day at the hospital is NOT something a normal tourist has on his Memphis Itinerary, but it ended up on ours. Long story short - Tres had an air conditioning guy come work on his air, the guy dropped a huge piece of metal on his foot, sliced it open about 5 inches long and 2 inches wide, so we sat in the Emergency room until 2 p.m. Not exactly part of the "all-day Beale Street Music Fest" plans we had that day, but it worked out. Why? Because Tres is a trooper and he never misses a good time!!! Foot wrapped up good, a few beers kicked back, and a dreadful limp, he was ready to paint the town, which just proves that when you are in Memphis, you CAN'T BE STOPPED!


The crew at MusicFest!

We lucked up and ended up in a VIP Tent by one of the main stages (thank you Tres again). And can I just say I find it appalling that my boyfriend, who has lived in this city for a year, can pull VIP passes from all over the place when I have lived here for 24 years. What am I doing wrong?! haha! Anyway, the VIP Tent was a blast. Free booze, food, and the best music right in our ears without having to fight a crowd. Oh and did I mention Justin Timberlake's mother was partyin' in up in this tent. Another dose of "true Memphis" or what?! We couldn't get any closer than Memphis TRUE VIP style. And if only they knew, those Chinese Elvis's would really be pissed off at us!

With Mrs. Timberlake herself!

So, to wrap it up... here's what I have learned about Memphis. There are three things that people say make Memphis great: Music, Elvis, and Fed Ex, and I don't know about you guys, but I would say according to MOST people, these three things sure do make the world go 'round!


No comments: