Friday, July 11, 2008

Orlando, Florida



I never thought in a million years that I would call Disney World my second home, but it now welcomes me five times a year from January-April, almost every other weekend in some cases. I can remember being a kid, and wanting to go to Disney World so bad... little did I know, by the age of 25, I would have visited Mickey and Minnie more than a dozen times.

So, when my plane lands in January, and February, and March, and April - the sun hits and Donald, Goofy, Aladdin, Simba, Mufasa, and the rest of the crew are ready for me with open arms. No really, I don't get to "play" at the Disney parks that often. We usually get to Orlando one day early, which gives us time to prepare for the weekend, but also gives us lots of spare time that most of us spend at the mall (because shopping in Memphis sucks... which brings me to another perk of my many travels: shopping. I refuse to do it unless I am in another city other than Memphis). Then that Thursday night is usually spent in the Orlando night-life, since it's one of the only few times we get to actually enjoy the city in the four days we are there. My weekends in Orlando mostly consist of work from 7 am until 11 pm - nonstop on Saturday and Sunday, with a few good dinners and drinks at the Ale House to conclude the night.


Out and about in Orlando


The only thing that gets us all through the week is knowing that the "Final Night Party" is just right around the corner on Sunday. The Final Night Party is held for all the staff that works UCA Nationals to thank them for their hard work with good food, cutting loose with friends, dancing, and LOTS of alcoholic beverages. And, if you have a 6:00 a.m. flight on Monday morning, the goal is usually to pull an all-nighter, just so you won't go to sleep, only to hear your alarm go off one hour later to pack up for the airport.

Blues City Cafe with Tres... this spot is an Orlando nightlife fav

Those all-nighters though? Sometimes not such a good idea. Since everything in Orlando closes at 1 am on Sunday night (yes, all bars too), there is usually never an after-party spot to pull this "all-nighter," therefore, you go back to the hotel, not sober, and you sit on the bed (never lay) because you refuse to go to sleep until it's time to head to the airport. With lots of booze in the system, fighting sleep is never an option, so there's always someone to fall into a deep slumber with no alarm set and missing that early a.m. flight. Or in some cases, you set the alarm because you are "such a responsible drunk," only to find when it goes off that you are on the wrong time zone, therefore, missing your early a.m. flight. It never matter though. Why? Because you worked 15 hour days on a WEEKEND, you're physically exhausted, and you just HAD to get as much beer, wine, etc. in your body on Sunday at the Final Night Party to make up for all of those lost days from the rest of the weekend.

That's the work crew in Orlando Florida. Not once but five times a year. Not many people can say that, and despite the tiring work days on those Saturdays and Sundays, I am glad to be one of those people. This is why I love my job.

No comments: