Monday, July 13, 2009

New York City, NY (November 21-28)

READ MY BLOG ON VARSITY.COM FROM THIS TRIP: varsity.com/event/1085/2008_macy's_thanksgiving_day_parade.aspx



I discovered a travel drought from the month of October into November, but all it took was the first work trip of the season to rain that dryness right out! I went to NYC to do what I do best… write! Almost two years ago, I was assigned to write a London Travel Blog for the website I work for, where I followed around cheerleaders who were named All-American on their trip of a lifetime where they met other cheerleaders across the country and to perform in a parade. Now I was headed to New York to do the same the week of Thanksgiving. I was a little bummed about missing my very first Thanksgiving with Tres and his family, but I knew I could make up for it at Christmas.

Me and my favorite store, Burberry!

New York was New York… I had been there before, and I DO like the city, but it’s not my favorite. It was such a let-down the first time I went because I always saw myself as this potential “New-Yorker” and as it turns out, I was just a Southern girl in a big city, which is something I have NO problem with at all. New York City is a rat maze to me… a bunch of mice running around with walls up all around them. More than I could ever handle in everyday life, but something I like a taste of from time to time! We did all your basic New York things while there: Empire State Building, bus tour around the city, Times Square, Broadway show, and my personal favorite, Fifth Avenue. There were two extra-exciting things that happened to me while on this trip.



Me and my idol!

First one: I walked by the New York Public Library oblivious that it was the New York Public Library until finally I envisioned a beautiful girl in a white “creampuff” dress with a bird on her head running down the stairs… if you are any kind of Sex and the City fan, you already know what I am talking about… Carrie and Big’s wedding!!!! And for you mediocre SATC fans, if you think there is a bigger fan than me and my girlfriends, I would like her (or him) to show their face NOW… because I think it may be quite impossible for there to be bigger fans than us!!!!! That show got us through college and we lived and breathed it any chance we got, watching it all together on our sorority hall… not just for hours but for days at a time! And even though we are all grown up, not together anymore, and have our own lives, we STILL text each other funny SATC quotes all the time and let each other know when we are watching it! So when I saw this building, I started calling my friends. I could have cried I was so excited. I immediately ran into the building and took pictures like I was some crazy PTA mom and it was my child’s first school play! The way I was taking pictures of this building was like I was at the prime tourist spot of NYC, but this was no library in my eyes… it was CARRIE AND BIG’S WEDDING venue!

Carrie's wedding venue!

Second one: Before I say this, I want to make it really clear. I AM NOT A CELEBRITY PERSON. I could literally give a darn about them. It really bothers me that people want to read about them, want to be them, want to meet them… I DON’T CARE!!!! They are just people to me who wear clothes that I wish I could… If you ever see me with a People or a US Weekly, I PROMISE it’s only because I am looking at their clothes. I am obsessed with fashion, and to me, they are the only reason I even care about their existence. With that aside, newscasters are a different story. They aren’t exactly celebrities, but they are people I enjoy seeing on a day-to-day basis on TV, and for awhile there, as a Speech Communication major/Broadcast focus, they were my idols. Needless to say, I love them. When we got to parade practice the night before the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, all the cheerleaders and dancers had their dances perfect, but there was a little change of plans thrown at the ones in the front center. Why? Well, get ready for this… OUR CHEERLEADERS WERE INTRODUCING MATT AND MEREDITH FROM THE TODAY’S SHOW!!!!! Yes, you heard right! Our cheerleaders were the opening act of the Macy’s Parade, so they got to introduce the hosts, Matt and Meredith! I was over-the-top excited… so excited that I couldn’t wait for Thanksgiving Day to come. When it did, I got in the very front of the performance line and made it my ultimate goal to take as many pictures of Matt and Meredith as possible. They we literally hanging out at the front of the performance group with me!!! It was Matt, Meredith, and ME right there at the Macy’s Parade opening act ! This was the highlight of my trip by far!

No comments: